When we moved into our current house, it was still filled with the belongings of a woman who had lived in the house for almost 60 years. Needless to say, there was a lot of stuff. As we began taking things down, I looked around in disdain with my nose pulled up over the fact that this woman had covered her house with knick-knacks. It seemed that any open place on the wall required a tacky picture, fake flowers, mugs etc. You can some see all the nail holes in the walls as evidence.
Well, today I worked around the house quite a bit, trying to get things clean and organized, but I also pulled out my box of house decor to put a few things out. You see, up until this point I haven't had the energy or surety of our living situation to go through the effort to put pictures and knick-knacks out. We are still no closer in knowing whether or not we are staying in this house for our last year of seminary, but I decided I needed this house to feel like home, so now pictures, candles and other fun things grace the mantle, coffee tables and even some of the walls. As I was going through my stuff, I realized that just like the little old woman who lived here before us, I also have a hard time getting rid of anything that feels sentimental. Thus, I still have a lot of the decorations I had out in high school and college, some from even before that! I'm definitely feeling a little more gracious in my attitude towards the woman's decorating style. When I'm 90, my house will probably be the same way.
I need to take some pictures, but here are a few of the things I was talking about...
A ceramic bear given to me in 5th grade by my then best friend Jenna.
A ceramic jewelry box made for me by Heather sometime in Jr high or high school
A bulletin board made for me by my friend Amanda in Jr high or high school
A picture frame I made sophomore year of college that says, "4th Hill 4 Life" and contains our floor picture
And the list could go on. I am very sentimental and have a hard time letting go of these types of things, so when I'm 90, my house will be filled to the gills, especially considering my husband is the same way! :) Sorry Tori and Sophie, your work will be cut out for you someday.
No comments:
Post a Comment