July 28, 2010

"Howdy!"

I've just reconnected with one of my best friends from high school (via facebook, of course!) and it has brought a flood of memories and emotions.  As many of you who are reading this know, I grew up in Texas, and didn't actually move to Seattle until college.  Now, since my family is now in Washington, and since Russ is from Seattle, I usually claim that as "home" here at school.  And really, Seattle feels much more like home than Dallas, but my years in Texas have definitely shaped and influenced me in many ways.  For example, I cannot go shopping without getting dressed up, I always root for the Cowboys and Rangers over any other teams, and I say "y'all" and "fixin."

Seriously though, my Texas years brought a lot of good to my life.  Many influential friends, teachers, coaches, and youth group leaders are still near and dear to my heart.  Unfortunately, I've done a downright lousy job keeping in touch with most of these people.  Granted, I think it is somewhat normal to lose touch with old friends as time goes by, but I feel bad because I don't think many of these people know how much I still care about them, and how thankful I am that God used them in my life.  So here's a shout-out to some of the people from Texas that I miss, and love, and hope to cross paths with someday...

Heather--you are probably the only person I met in Texas that I still regularly talk to!  You are the best of friends and I've been so blessed by your love, support and friendship over the last 12 (!!!!) years!

Justin--It was so great to reconnect with you today!  Memories of biology, Bible study on Job, accountability to stop cussing, relationship advice, being your conscience, and many fun times come to mind when I think of you! 

The MCA Gang--Amanda, Brittany, Dane (aka Danger), Justin and Whit--we had some good times! I'll always remember movie nights, photo shoots, countless funny quotes and inside jokes, and never ending relationship drama (it was high school after all)! Your friendship always meant so much to me, I hope you knew that!

BYG--Kristen, Melissa, Kristin, Ashley, Jessica, Kevin, Paul, Jeff and so many more...Cary mission trips, pool parties, ski trip, camp, going out after church, sand volleyball, basketball in the parking lot...so many great memories!  I grew up with most of you guys and it made me so sad when our church group basically fell apart.

Rolf--you were by far the best youth leader I ever had!  Thanks for stepping up to lead our group when no one else would.  You've obviously been gifted to serve others in ministry and I'm so thankful for your calling.  God has, and will continue to work in great ways through you!  I'll always think of you as my big brother.

Teachers--Ms. Miller, Mrs. Schappelle, Mrs, Adams, Mrs. Marcell, Coach Garrett, Coach A, Coach Bo --What a privilege it was to be your student! I learned so much from you, both academically and in life lessons, and I'm forever grateful for that!  Your hard work is so important, thank you for sacrificing your time, energy and money (since you could make a lot more doing something else) to invest in your students!

I don't want anyone to feel left out or singled out, I just wanted to share some of the nostalgia and sentiment on my mind!  Thanks again to everyone who took the time to be my friend, listen to me, teach me and pray for me through those very formative years!

5 comments:

  1. I think about you often too Brianna! Can you believe how old we are now? weird. BYG days were so good. i wish too that i did a better job of keeping up with people. your family is beautiful! hope all is well!
    —Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the memory. I am honored that I was able to be your teacher. I think I learned more from you! Thanks for helping me through Chemistry! God bless! Coach Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brianna,

    I completely agree with everything Melissa said. You are not the only one that does a poor job of keeping up with old friends! I think about you often, and you will always be so dear to me! I think your daughters are adorable, and I am thanful for facebook bc I can keep up with you (aka stalk). Hope your family is doing well- I can't believe how old Tyler is!!!

    Love you,

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shout-out back at ya, Brianna! So good to read your update. So touched to be remembered fondly by you in your blog. So proud of your beautiful family and all you have accomplished =) Take care, and God bless! Brenda Miller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the good old days! I miss you too and am totally bummed that you don't call TX home anymore! - Jeff

    ReplyDelete