My poor Tori girl has had a rough month! It all started a few weeks ago...we decided to put Tori in her room with the baby gate up to give her some time to play on her own. She wasn't so sure what she thought of this and cried at the gate for a few minutes. She'd get distracted and play for a few min and then go back to the gate and cry for a min, and so forth. I responded the first few times she called out so she knew it was OK, but after that I just let her do her own thing so she'd learn to play on her own. After a little while of quiet playing she started to cry again, but I was in the middle of something that needed to be finished so I didn't respond right away.
And here's when I feel like a bad mom.
Russ went to check on her and found her doubled over with her finger stuck in the heat vent! We live in a house that is almost 100 years old, so the vents are of an older variety that have little doors to open and close. Apparently she was playing with the door and it slammed shut on her poor little finger. Then she spent several minutes attempting to pull it out which resulted in a blister that encompassed the entire tip of her finger! The finger was bruised and swollen for several days and then the blister broke. Of course, being 18 months old she would not leave a band aid on for more than 5 minutes so this whole month I've been worried she'll get an infection which will spread to the bone and she'll have to have her finger amputated and spend weeks on intravenous antibiotics. This is what happens when you know too much. Her finger is looking much better with a steadily shrinking scab, but I suspect the nail might come loose. It is slowly but surely healing, but I hope she is not traumatized for the rest of her life from this!
As if that is not enough, poor Tori has had both the stomach flu and a bad cold over the past few weeks. As you read in a recent post, she was sick while we were in Iowa and managed to loose her lunch all over me. We returned home and when we thought she was finally recovered when she came down with a yucky cold/flu. She was so pale and her eyes had that "I'm sick" look to them. I felt so bad for her!
As if that is not enough, poor Tori has had both the stomach flu and a bad cold over the past few weeks. As you read in a recent post, she was sick while we were in Iowa and managed to loose her lunch all over me. We returned home and when we thought she was finally recovered when she came down with a yucky cold/flu. She was so pale and her eyes had that "I'm sick" look to them. I felt so bad for her!
Along with the busted finger and sickness, this past month Tori has started having night terrors. At first, Russ and I weren't sure what in the world was going on. She'd just wake up in the middle of the night screaming and inconsolable! She wouldn't respond to us and just fought any attempts we made to comfort her. It was like she was still asleep, but screaming uncontrollably. After several nights of this, the word night terror popped up in my tired brain, and sure enough, when I looked it up, it described word for word what was going on. I guess we were doing the wrong thing trying to comfort her, instead you are just supposed to let them cry it out and make sure they stay safe. She hasn't had any in several days (knock on wood), but the article I read also stated that lack of sleep is a huge contributing factor. Well, Tori's sleep schedule was all off kilter from traveling and being sick, so now that we're home and back in the routine, she's doing much better.
I sure hope the rest of 2010 is less eventful for my little girl!
Sorry to hear about the night terrors Lila had the same thing, that and it's a hard thing to wake up to, we worked on protecting her sleep and nap time, I knew if we missed naps we were in for a heap of trouble that night. It also helped when the gals were old enough the started to sleep in the same bed together. Whew, at least it passed after a while as most things do. Hang in there!
ReplyDelete